12/02/2006: "Private Investigator Blog - "USA Department of Justice Stats""
The United States Department of Justice has released its yearly prison-related statistics, and as always they're interesting reading! ... in a kind of morbid way....
1) 14 U.S. States had prisoner population increases of at least 5%? So who had the boggest increase this year? Where would you not want to be a criminal??? South Dakota - a 11.9% increase!
2) 11 U.S. States had prisoner population decreases, led by Georgia who had a 4.6% decrease.
3) The amount of prisoners on probation grew by 5% this year, that's 19, 070 extra probationers in the USA. Sounds a lot but that's the smallest increase in the last 26 years!
4) The amount of prisoners on parole in 2005 increased by 1.6%. That's 12,556 more parolees.
5) The amoutn of prisoners with AIDs is also counted. In the last year the amoutn of HIV positive prisoners decreased by 2.6%. Overall, the Rate of AIDs related deaths in State prisons decreased in 2004.
Like I said, interesting reading.... but slightly morbid...